Having a sturdy roof on your home is important, as it’s the first line of protection against inclement weather. Perhaps equally important is ensuring that your home’s roof is properly ventilated. Unfortunately, many older roofs aren’t equipped with enough ventilation to allow heat to escape, causing attic temperatures to skyrocket. This can be bad news for homeowners for several reasons.
The Dangers of Poor Roof Ventilation
There are two main reasons why a well-ventilated roof is important:
When things heat up outside, the temperature on your roof can be close to double the outside temperature. This can cause your attic to heat up significantly, which can lead to premature deterioration. This happens when your roof shingles and underlayment are constantly affected by extreme heat from the attic. Poor ventilation can also lead to a buildup of moisture in your attic, which can cause premature rot in your decking and support trusses as well as mold and mildew growth.
If your monthly energy costs seem to be getting out of hand, poor attic ventilation might be one of the problems. When your attic heats up, it’s natural for the rest of your home to also get warmer. This makes your HVAC system work harder to keep the indoor temperature comfortable. And if your HVAC is in your attic, it doesn’t help that it must perform day in and day out in extreme temperatures.
What Are the Solutions?
Different ventilation options can help lower your attic temperatures and prevent the issues mentioned above. Your roof likely has soffit vents that allow a small amount of ventilation, but it may also benefit from:
- Ridge vents – Installed along the roof’s peaks, these vents allow hot air to escape from the highest points in the attic.
- Solar attic fans – These are installed in strategic spots along the roof and pull warm air out of the attic so it can be replaced by cooler air.
Your Local Roof Ventilation Experts
Homeowners throughout San Antonio and South Central Texas rely on Texas Pro Insulators for all their roof ventilation needs. We pride ourselves on being home energy efficiency experts, and we offer roof ventilation options as part of our five-part system called The Perfect Attic System. Able to reduce monthly energy costs by as much as 35%, this system also includes:
- Blown-in fiberglass insulation that provides excellent coverage and comes with a lifetime R-value guarantee
- Reflective radiant barrier insulation that is installed on the attic walls and ceiling and can reflect up to 97% of the sun’s heat
- Attic air sealing to eliminate air leaks that can hurt your home’s thermal performance
- A programmable thermostat that can help you better regulate your energy usage
Contact the Trusted Professionals
Texas Pro Insulators can provide the ventilation and insulation your home’s roof desperately needs. Contact us today and we’ll schedule a time to visit your home and provide a free consultation. We’d love the opportunity to add you to our extensive list of satisfied customers throughout South Central Texas.